We are asked regularly about “what type of things are tendered?” and before we answer this question, I wanted to point out the fact that most public sector bodies, including NHS, MOD, Schools, Local Council’s and many of the public advisory bodies are obliged to publicly advertise their tender their requirements when it’s over a certain value. (This varies widely, but is usually at over £10,000)
So it’s interesting to consider what things might a council require which cost over £10,000 per contract. The list is almost endless and will probably include the following categories
- Vehicles (consider ambulances, police cars, ordinary cars, vans, trucks etc)
- Housing services (such as Gas services, Electrical services, water etc)
- Food & Drink (think about schools, large colleges, large public buildings, buffet lunches etc)
- Legal services (including statutory compliance services like Insurance)
- Creative & Design services (corporate stationery, exhibition services, marketing campaigns etc)
- Sports & related activities (everything from swimming pools, to yoga instructors, pool cleaning, over 50’s classes, play scheme activities)
- Medical & Social care ( Community nurses, through to drugs and medical devices)
- Training & professional services (everything from estate valuers, Public Relations, Accounting, Tax and budgeting, through to training services)
- Specific project supplies and equipment (explosives, tanks, research – this is an ever changing category)
And it’s safe to say that this is far from being an exhaustive list, the requirements for Christmas lights, pantomimes, ice cream concessions etc is never ending.
So the next time you aren’t sure about whether your goods or services are covered and will be tendered, the short answer is probably yes!